Big Bada Boomcomics
A comic may have a theme to respect, or some creative rules to follow.
You really do not need to be a professional artist to participate! Sometimes, even stick figures are enough to have a lot of fun!
- First, you can join some open comics which have already been started and that are open to anybody to contribute. You can also start a new comic by yourself!
- The drawing period is when the panel of a comic is being created and is under construction. You can click on such panel to reach its drawing page. This page provides tools allowing you to draw and save your creation. When you are happy with your drawing, you submit it. The drawing then becomes visible to others, it becomes an official submission for the panel being created.
- When the drawing period is over for the panel, one of the submitted drawings must win! For an open comic, the voting period then starts. When the voting period is over, the drawing with the most votes is declared the winner and becomes part of the comic.
- When the very last panel of a comic is done, the comic is completed!
- Note that, during all those steps, you can comment about the comic or about a specific drawing, directly below the comic.
Note that Big Bada Boom is best viewed and is easier to use on a big screen! Everything should be working on mobile phones, but drawing is easier when the screen is bigger.
To create your account, simply fill the section create a new account. You will receive an email to confirm your registration. Make sure you check your spam folder if you don't receive the email after a short while!
Once your account is created, you will see a new "account" link in the top menu of the website. You can click it to complete your profile, for example by adding an avatar!
- An anonymous user may loose his unsubmitted drawings if his browsing session expires!
- An anonymous user cannot post comments.
- Only a registered user can bookmark comics, drawings and other users.
- Only a registered user has access to the full listing of the comics he participated in and of the drawings he made.
- A registered user has more options available when starting a new comic. He also gains some moderation rights on it. Anonymous users do not have any moderation rights.
- A registered user will always be credited for the drawings he has made.
Depending on the privacy option chosen, a comic may be called an "open comic" (everybody can participate) or a "closed comic" (only the invited members can participate).
A difference between those two kinds of comics is how the panels are created and drawings chosen:
- For an open comic, each panel, one by one, goes into a drawing period, during which everyone can submit their drawing. At the end of that period, the winning drawing is chosen. Again depending on an option chosen during the creation of the comic, this winning drawing may be chosen by the initiator of the comic, or during a voting period. When a voting period is used, the winning drawing is the one with the most votes at the end of the period.
- For a closed comic, each panel must be done by the invited members, in turn. The user who is going to draw the next panel is randomly chosen. But, in general, the chosen drawer of a panel will not be the same as the one who drew the previous one! For a closed comic, there is no voting period. Submitted drawings automatically become part of the comic.
- Open to all: anybody will be able to see and submit drawings on your comic, even anonymous users. The fun thing about this option is that your comic may attract more participation! The downside is that moderation is harder: since anonymous users are allowed, you cannot simply ban users who may spam your comic... Notice that you will still be able to remove their submitted drawings though!
- Open to all members (no anonymous users): Anybody will be able to see your comic, but only registered users will be able to submit drawings to it. This is a good option if you want to create a public comic, but want to do minimal moderation.
- Publicly visible, but only invited members can participate: Anybody will be able to see your comic, but only explicitly invited members will be able to submit drawings. When you choose this option, you have to specify the members to invite.
- Unlisted, anyone with the secret URL can participate: The created comic will not be part of any Big Bada Boom listings, but anybody with the secret URL will be able to see and participate in it. This is an interesting option when you want to invite some friends to participate in a semi-private comic on Big Bada Boom, even if they do not have an account yet. You will have to send them the provided secret URL by yourself, using email or SMS!
- Strictly private to invited members: This is the option to choose to create a truly private comic: only you and the members you explicitly invite will be able to see it and participate in it. It will not be visible to others! When you choose this option, you have to specify the members to invite.
If your comic is an open one, it will be the total number of panels on the comic!
If the comic is a closed one, then it is the time the next invited member has to submit his drawing for the panel in creation.
- By public vote: When the drawing period is over for the panel in creation, a voting period will start. Everyone can cast their vote, and the winning drawing will be the one with the most votes at the end of that period. In case of equality, a random comic will be chosen between the ones with the most votes.
- You choose: When the drawing period is over for the panel in creation, you, the initiator of the comic, will choose the winning drawing.
Is adult or mature content (sex/violence/etc.) allowed on the comic you are creating? A comic flagged as "allowing adult content" will not be displayed to users before they actually confirm that they are adults and that they accept to see such kind of content.
Note that you have to select this option if you are planning on accepting adult content on your comic! Otherwise, the comic will be deleted.
You can ban a user, using the dedicated link on his profile.
A banned user will not be able to:
- Participate in your comics
- Send you a private message
- Invite you to his own comics
When you are the initiator of a comic, you can also:
- Cancel that comic. The drawings already done for the comic will not be deleted, but they will only be visible to their authors. The comic will not be available to anyone.
- Unpublish a drawing. An unpublished drawing will still be available, but only to its author. The drawing will not appear in the comic anymore. Note that if a drawing has been chosen for a panel (automatically, manually or by votes), it cannot be unpublished anymore.
- Delete inappropriate comments.
- A "Messages preferences" option in your account allows you to decide who can send you a private message: anyone or only the members you bookmarked. Note that when you send a private message to a user, this user is automatically added to your bookmarks... That way, the user will be able to respond to you, whatever the option you chose in this section.
- There is a "report" link on comics, drawings and users pages.
- You can always send us a message, using the contact form directly.
- If the initiator of the comic is a registered user, he has to draw the panel by himself.
- If the initiator of the comic is anonymous, the next drawing to be submitted for the panel, by anyone, automatically wins.